How to Care for your sterling silver jewellery
Sterling Silver requires special care to preserve its appearance and longevity.
Sterling silver can tarnish when exposed to salty air, chlorine, sulphur, humidity, perspiration, cosmetics, household bleach and other strong chemicals.
We recommend storing your sterling silver jewellery in a dry, safe place when you are engaging in:
- Household and outdoor chores
- Showering, bathing, or swimming in pools, hot tubs, hot springs, or the ocean
- Using lotions, hair products, fragrances, and other cosmetics
- Exercising or playing contact sports
- Preparing meals
- Apply a small amount of sterling silver polish to a sterling silver polishing cloth. If you do not have one, use a microfiber or non-abrasive cloth.
- Gently rub the silver with the cloth several times. The best polishing method is to use back and forth motions that mirror the silver’s grain.
- Rinse the silver thoroughly in warm water.
- Blot dry and shine your silver with the polishing cloth. This will remove the tarnish and restore shine.
For a deeper clean – clean the sterling silver with warm water and a mild ammonia, such as phosphate-free dishwashing soap
- Try to avoid using tissues or paper towels to clean the items, as they could potentially scratch the silver.
- When cleaning the item – avoid rubbing in circles as this will only highlight any scratches.
- Exposure to air tarnishes sterling silver. It’s important to store silver in individual, airtight plastic bags.